Summer Reading 2021
The theme for summer reading this year is “Tails and Tales”. From finding new favorite fairy tales to learning more about the amazing creatures with which we share our world, we want you to tell us which stories and animals you love, or just want to know more about.
How-To-Guide For Summer Reading 2021: Tails & Tales
1) Register for Summer Reading and to receive a Summer Reading Kit here.
2) Pick up your kit at the library during regular pick-up hours.
Your kits will include:
* For readers up to entering 12th grade in Fall 2021:
- A Scavenger Hunt bingo card. Complete the actions in the squares to earn points towards summer reading prizes.
- Entry information for the Reimagine Your Favorite Fairy Tale contest, where you can reimagine your favorite fairy tale, myth, or folktale in any medium, including but not limited to: sculpture, poetry, stories, audio art, photography, painting, Lego, etc.
3) Sign up for cool programs and fun events:
- Weekly virtual Rescue Readers Program with Cape Ann Animal Aid (reading to cats and dogs who are waiting to be adopted via Zoom)
- Biweekly virtual events:
4) Pick up biweekly Take-and-Make crafts at the library:
- June 28: Cool Clothespin Caterpillar
- July 12: Plush Pipe cleaner Chameleon
- July 26: Fluffy Bird Friend
How to earn prizes!
1) Read for at least 15 minutes a day. Every time you read for 15 minutes, give yourself a sticker.
2) Register for and attend weekly Virtual Rescue Readers Program via Zoom. Each time you attend, give yourself a sticker.
3) Register for and attend biweekly virtual events via Zoom. Each time you attend, give yourself a sticker.
4) Pick-up biweekly Take-and-Make Crafts and make them. Each time you make one of our crafts, give yourself a sticker.
5) Read to your adopted stuffed animal friend for 15 minutes a day. Every time you read to them for 15 minutes, give yourself a sticker.
6) Complete the Scavenger Hunt Bingo actions. Each time you complete a task, cover that task with a sticker.
7) Enter the Reimage Your Favorite Fairy Tale contest, and create your retelling in any medium you wish. Send an electronic version of your entry (such as photo or PDF of your creation) to Ms. KL: firstname.lastname@example.org
PRIZE EARNING BREAKDOWN
|4-6 stickers||1 small prize|
|12 stickers||2 small prizes|
|24 stickers or complete Scavenger Hunt Bingo||Coupon for free ice cream cone|
|Reimagine Your Favorite Fairy Tale Contest Winner||Free ticket or gift certificate to museum or aquarium|
*To collect your prizes, take a picture of your sticker-sheet or bring it to the Rockport Public Library and show a librarian, who will check your stickers and give you your prize!
All prizes are available while supplies last.
We are thankful for partners and sponsors, such as Cape Ann Animal Aid and Bean & Leaf Café and The Ice Cream Store. “Tails and Tales” Statewide Summer Library Program is sponsored by Rockport Public Library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners and the Institute of Museum and Library Services with support from the National Women’s Hockey League team Boston Pride.